Scan microforms into digital files and save them to your thumb drive.
Microform Equipment Available in Fondren Library
- 1 Minolta MS7000 Microform Reader / Printer
- 1 Minolta MSP 2000 Microform Reader / Printer
- 2 ST ViewScan Microform / Microprint Scanners
Microform Scanner Instructions
Scanning with Adobe Acrobat
- See staff to log on to the computer.
- Turn on scanner before turning on the computer.
- Create a folder with your name in the “SAVE-WORK-HERE” folder. A shortcut to the “SAVE-WORK-HERE” folder is on the left side of the desktop.
- Open Adobe Acrobat using the shortcut on the left side of the desktop.
- Choose Create PDF from the toolbar at the top.
- Choose From Scanner.
- A window with preset scanner settings will appear. Click the appropriate box if you want to use OCR (optical character recognition).
- Click Scan. The Scanner Setup Screen will open.
- Resolution: For almost all purposes, use 200 dpi. Do not exceed 300 dpi.
- Scan Area: Custom allows you to adjust the area to be scanned in the box at the upper right hand corner. 8.5” by 11” will scan the middle 8.5” by 11” (the area in the center of the scanner screen).
- mage Type: For text, chose black & white. For images/documents with print on both sides, or for OCR, use grayscale.
- Image Adjustment: You may adjust the scanner settings on the computer or on the scanner—not both. If you adjust the image using the scanner choose initialize from scanner. Adjusting the image with the computer works best after you’ve done a preview scan (click preview).
- Film Type: Allows you to select negative, positive, or automatic. Automatic will work in most cases.
- Brightness and Contrast: You may adjust the brightness and contrast on the right side of the window. These adjustments will not be reflected on the microscanner’s screen display. Instead, they will show up in the scanned document.
- Click Scan.
- After the scan finishes, a window will appear.
- Click next to scan another page in the document. Next returns to the Scanner Setup Screen where you may scan again. The order you scan the pages will be the order the pages appear in the PDF.
- Click done when you are finished scanning the page or pages in the document. This opens the scanned document.
- To save the document in the folder you created, open the Save-Work Here folder and click on your folder. You should change the name of the file from “untitled” (the default name) to a descriptive name to help you locate it later.
- Files saved to this computer are regularly wiped from the system; take your files with you after each scanning session. You may transfer files to:
- lash drive using USB ports. Before removing the drive you must stop it. Go to the desktop toolbar. An icon with a gray block and a green arrow will display “Safely Remove Hardware” when you scroll over it. Click the icon and select the drive to stop. The computer will alert you when it is safe to remove the flash drive.
- writeable cds. Blank cds may be purchased for $1.00 at the service desk.
- If you have a problem, turn off both the scanner and the computer, wait a minute, restart (remember, scanner first), and resume scanning. If this does not fix the problem, get a staff member.
- Note: we have experienced problems with the system when scanning in grayscale at high resolutions (400 and above). See 8a.
For Use In Fondren