Please review these policies and procedures before checking out equipment or using the computer lab facilities.
General Lab Policies
So that the computing labs are comfortable and well-maintained, we ask that everyone abide by the following guidelines.
The DMC primarily serves Rice faculty, staff, and students. Priority in access to equipment and training is given to members of the Rice community.
The DMC supports web authoring, text and image scanning, audio and video editing, and the creation of interactive multimedia. If you would like read email, use word processing applications, or surf the web, please use the Owlnet machines on the first floor of the library.
In the lab, please refrain from loud talking, and use headphones if you are working with audio content.
Please do not eat or drink in the lab areas.
Do not add, change, or remove hardware, and do not load commercial software or games onto the hard drives. DMC staff must approve plugging in peripheral devices prior to connection.
If you run into a problem with an application or computer, please report it to a member of the DMC staff.
The DMC will keep your Rice ID at the DMC service desk if you use the following DMC items: memory card readers, USB drives, and headphones.
Please also see our equipment policy, which governs checking out digital cameras, camcorders and audio recorders.
- All the printing services at the DMC are only for Rice students, faculty and staff.
- Because of the cost of consumable printing supplies, we must charge for printing. Since the DMC printers are not on the Owlnet printing network, we can't charge to a student's Owlnet printing account.
- We collect payment via people's Rice Esther account or Rice Interdepartmental Transfer.
DMC General Borrowing Policies
Borrowers must agree to the following guidelines:
1. Loan of Equipment
- Only Rice students, faculty, and staff may borrow equipment.
- You may not check out equipment if your library account is blocked due to fines or overdue items.
- Borrowers must be trained in using the appropriate piece of equipment before being granted check-out privileges.
- Borrowers are responsible for all equipment checked out to them after they sign the DMC equipment checkout form.
- Equipment can be checked out earlier than time it has been reserved for if the equipment is already available, but there
are no guarantees that it will be available.
- It is the borrower's responsibility to ensure that the equipment is in proper working order before checking it out.
- It is the borrower's responsibility to check the parts and contents of the package against the DMC checkout form.
- Should equipment become faulty for any reason while in the borrower's charge, return it immediately to the DMC and let
the DMC staff know about the problem.
- Borrowers are responsible for returning all equipment received in the same condition as when received. Equipment must
be returned to the DMC and checked in by a staff member during our open hours.
- Fine will be enforced if the equipment is returned late. There is a $0.50 fee per hour, per item for all checkouts that exceed the due time.
- For DMC laptop, fine will be $1.00 per hour that exceeds the due time.
Equipment sign-out privileges may be revoked at any time without warning due to careless handling of equipment or repeated lateness. For example: unattended equipment is considered careless handling.
- The DMC doesn’t check out equipment over the winter break (i.e. from the Christmas to New Year when the DMC is closed). However, if you have a special academic project you need to work on, let us know and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
2. Terms of Equipment Loan and Renewal
- Regular equipment checked out at the DMC will be due the third day at 3:00 p.m. For instance, if you check out an item on Monday, 9/22, it is due Thursday, 9/25.
- Equipment may not be renewed except in special cases and with the approval of the DMC professional staff.
- Equipment may be returned and checked out again at the DMC service desk.
- Extended loans of any equipment will be allowed only with special permission from the DMC professional staff.
- Laptop MacBooks may only be booked for 24 hours only, therefore checked out for 24 hours. They may not be renewed. DMC workshops are given higher priority to use MacBook laptops. For instance, if a laptop is booked to check out Monday, 10 a.m., then it will be due back Tuesday at 10 a.m.
Walk-in checkout for laptop is due next day by 3 p.m.. If next day is closed, then due date will become the first open day at 3:00 p.m..
MacBooks are intended for academic use only and are not to be used as a check-in kiosk for galas or for ornamentation.
- Borrowers may not install software on the computer without explicit permission from the DMC professional staff.
- Borrowers may temporarily store files in the SaveWorkHere folder on the desktop, but should transfer work to flash drive, external hard drive, or network drive, since the computer will be cleaned off once it is returned.
3. Lost or Damaged Equipment
- For any accessories not returned, or accessories returned that are broken, the borrower will be responsible to pay the full cost of replacement (i.e. the cost of a new item to replace).
- For any equipment under $100.00 that is not returned, or returned which is broken, the borrower will be responsible to pay the full cost of replacement (i.e. the cost of a new item to replace).
- For any equipment above $100.00 that is not returned, or returned which is damaged beyond repair, the borrower will be responsible to pay the true value of the equipment after regular wear and tear is taken into consideration based on three years (i.e. six semesters) life cycle. For instance, a $550.00 camera that has been used for two years (i.e. four semesters) would have a value of $183.34. The calculation is as follows: $550.00 - (($550.00/6)*4) = $183.34. If this deduction would reduce the replacement fee below $100.00, the borrower would instead pay $100.00.
- The borrower will be responsible to pay the repair cost (not to exceed the true value of the equipment) of equipment above $100.00 that merits repair. The borrower can keep the damaged equipment after he/she pays the true value of the equipment.
- Costs assessed against borrower will be imposed on borrower's library account and should be paid at the circulation desk of the library.
- The value of the equipment is as follows:
|Canon Vixia M500 Full HD Camcorder||$549||Canon XA10 HD Professional Camcorder||$1500|
|Zoom H4n Audio Recorder||$229||Kodak Zi8 Video Camera||$180|
|Zoom H2n Audio Recorder||$160||Canon EOS Rebel XT camera body only||$549|
|Sunpak 8001UT tripod||$25||Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens||$799|
|Velbon Videomate 607 Aluminum Tripod||$79.95||Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens||$299|
|Canon Vixia R500 Full HD Camcorder||$200||Wide Angle EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Autofocus Lens||$449|
|Rode VideoMic Pro Compact Shotgun Microphone||$229||Canon 430EX II Speedlite TTL Shoe-Mount Flash||$259|
|Sony ECMMS907 microphone||$75||Sennheiser Microphone System with ME2 Lavalier Mic - A (516-558 MHz)||$629|
|Wacom Intuos4 digital tablet||$318||Bescor LED-500K 2 Light Studio Lighting Kit (100-240VAC)||$399|
|Samson C01U USB Microphone||$147||Epson EX5200 Multimedia Projector||$599|
|Apple MacBook||$1,534||Azden WLX-PRO Camera Mountable VHF Wireless Lavalier||$149|
|Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens||$500||Rode NTG-2 Condenser Shotgun Microphone||$270|
|Sony HXR-NX3/1 NXCAM Professional Handheld Camcorder||$2999.00||Libec tripod||$534.00|
|Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head and 546B Tripod System with Carrying Bag||$579.88||LS38M(2A)-SP tripod||$595.00|
Digital Media Commons Equipment Reservation Procedure
You may reserve the following:
- camcorder, digital still camera, tripod, audio recorder (for recording audio), microphone (including wireless), etc. For a complete list of equipment for checkout, please click here.
- laptop (24 hours checkout for reserved checkout, next day 3 p.m. for walk-in checkout)
- computer workstation: video editing, audio editing, or scanning (4 hour reserve)
- DMC multipurpose room: 4 hour reserve
- that an item is only available when it is not checked out and not reserved either.
- that if you are a temporary staff at Rice, you will not be able to reserve equipment although you can check out equipment.
- Rice faculty, students, and staff may reserve equipment by filling out this online DMC Reservation Form, or by speaking with a DMC staff member at 713-348-3635 or in person (reservations by voice mail are not accepted).
- Reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis and may be requested up to one month in advance.
- Please note that the reservation request must be approved by a DMC staff member and must be made at least 24 hours before the requested pick-up time. You will receive an email when your request has been processed.
- Reservations are valid for half day only from 3 p.m. to the closing of the DMC on that day. Pre-approved/long term projects may be given special consideration by the DMC professional staff.
Equipment Pick Up and Return
- You may pick up reserved equipment after 3:30 p.m in the DMC. (Because of high demand for equipment, we cannot arrange for earlier pick-up times.) It will be due the third day by 3 p.m. Given the tight time frame between when equipment is returned and checked out again, we cannot guarantee that batteries will be fully re-charged. If the reserved equipment is not picked up by the end of the day, the reservation will be canceled. You are welcome to call the DMC before 3:30 to see if the requested equipment is already available. If you have reserved equipment and find that you do not need it, please call to cancel the reservation so that others may use it.
- The DMC will do its best to honor reservations. However, our equipment is used heavily, and occasionally patrons return items late. If this happens, we will do our best to find alternative equipment or to notify you when the equipment is returned. Please help us ensure the smooth operation of our check-out system by returning equipment on time.
- Because the DMC's equipment is expensive, we require more complex procedures than if you were merely checking out a book from Fondren in order to reduce liability and ensure that we can continue providing our equipment checkout program. It is therefore important to allow plenty of time when picking up and returning items, as the process cannot be completed instantly, especially if other patrons are in line to be helped.
- Equipment must be returned directly to a staff member at the front desk of the Digital Media Commons, Fondren Library basement B42, during DMC open hours. Equipment cannot be dropped off to the book return box or left outside of the DMC. If you have difficulty meeting the due date, contact the Digital Media Commons at 713-348-3635 or email@example.com.
File Managment in the DMC
- All users are responsible for their own files. We cannot guarantee the integrity of user files. The Digital Media Commons does not perform back-up of user data; therefore, users should store their files on their own USB drive, external Firewire/USB hard drive, CD/DVD disc, or their network space.
Faculty, staff and students have the following options for storage, file sharing and collaboration provided by Rice IT: (For more information, click here.). Upload limit for a single file on Rice Box is 5GB as of 4/6/2017. Please go to the product web page for any updates. These cloud services change their agreements rather dynamically. Rice subscribes to the enterprise pricing tier for Box, and we use the Google Apps for Business model for Google pricing and storage (i.e. not personal).
Faculty Staff Grad Students Undergrads Individual and Collaborative Storage Solutions Individual User U: Drive (FAQ) 5GB 5GB 5GB 2GB Rice Box (Getting Started) ( Training ) ( Login)
Can be configured for confidential and sensitve data
unlimited unlimited unlimited unlimited Google Drive ( Google Drive Help ) ( Login)
Not recommended for confidential data
Microsoft One Drive (FAQ) (Login)
Not recommended for confidential data
- Users may not store any files on the drives of Digital Media Commons workstations, except in SaveWorkHere folder located on the desktop. Please save the files in the SaveWorkHere folder in a folder with your email handle as the folder name. Files will be cleaned off the hard disk on the first Monday of every month unless a specific file storage request is filed.
- If you are working on a long-term project and need storage space, please fill out a File Storage Request Form at the DMC service desk. If a request form is not submitted, we may inadvertently delete your files during our routine cleaning of the hard drives and we assume no responsibility for those files.
Feel free to call the Digital Media Commons (713)348-3635, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by in person at Fondren B42 if you have any questions.